Thursday 7 July 2011

The coffee cup pincushion



This little pincushion has been such a success on the stall- it is a really simple idea and very easy to make. The idea sort of developed when I saw clever folk making candles in teacups, and I then came across a supply of little coffee cups- so with a bit of fiddling and few trial runs the pincushion came about.

The pincushion is fixed in the coffee cup- the top is made in good quality 'quilting' cotton fabric ( I think it probably a good idea to use a densely woven cotton- it will wear better if you're repeatedly sticking pins in it), and it is filled with polyester toy filler so it is quite firm to touch.
It looks really sweet but is very practical as the cup makes a very stable base for the pincushion- so it stands very nicely on the table next to the sewing machine.


It has been a great talking point on the stall and I've been given other great ideas for uses from non- stitchers, including for displaying hat pins or brooches.




I have now listed the pincushion online for sale- there are some available in my etsy shop ( www.etsy.com/shop/harlechcottagecrafts ) and there'll be more coming including the ones I make with little applique designs on them.